Skip to main content

Frenemies/Siblings

When we were reading the story, "This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona", I was a bit confused as to why the title was what it was. I understood that it was an important place for the main characters, as it was where Victor's father was and where they traveled to together and bonded over, but I didn't understand the first part: "This is what it means to Say"? It felt a little awkward, and slightly confusing. So, I've decided that I, an 18 year old girl with all the authority in the world, would re-title this story to a simple "Brotherhood". I think this is a pretty apt title if I do say so myself.
The reason I want this to be the title is because I feel like bonds are a really important part of the story. There's this superficial kind of bond that Victor has to the rest of the tribe, which can be seen at the beginning with his encounter with the council. They seem to be looking at his situation very logically, lacking empathy for what Victor needs to get to his father. They are condescending and brush him off. Later in the story, Victor also mentions how much he felt that there was something superficial about tribal ties. That is, until Thomas comes into his life again.
We see that though Thomas and Victor have not been close recently, Thomas doesn't hesitate to help him, and they have a very comfortable way of talking around each other, though they may not speak much. This is very similar to the way that family would get together after a while of not seeing each other; there's a certain familiarity to it. Finally, at the end, Victor gives Thomas the left over ashes of his father, cementing in the idea that the two are bonded together in a deeper way than friends. The ashes seem to convey the idea that they are now brothers (sharing a father), though not by blood, but by choice.

Comments

  1. I really like your re-titling! As I've noted on others' blogs, I similarly feel that I don't quite know what to make of the title "This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona" (since, as an English teacher, I tend to bristle at "this"s uncoupled with nouns). Your choice of "Brotherhood" as a new title appropriately reflects the relationship between Victor and Thomas-Builds-the-Fire, who, like brothers, are bound together by their relationship with Victor's father. I appreciate that you also point out Victor's complicated and somewhat superficial relationship to his reservation community, which makes his deeper tie to Thomas even more significant. -Ms. O'Brien

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Character in The Machine Stops

I believe that Matthews’ definition of the short story - "A short story deals with a single character, a single event, a single emotion, or the series of emotions called forth by a single situation" - is a little too narrow. Largely, it feels like he made the assumption that because a short story is short, it can only deal with one of each element a story has. While it’s true that short stories often work with less than a novel would have in terms of characters, settings, actions, and emotions, it does not mean that the short story is so limited as to only be able to deal with one of each. Perhaps a single focus or message, but certainly not with individual elements. My biggest complaint with the restraints of this definition is the rigidity of the phrase “deals with a single character”. The main antithesis to this that we have read so far is “The Machine Stops”. This may not be an obvious choice, but allow me to explain. “The Machine Stops” relies on the fact that there ar

Regret

To me, the story "Evolution of My Brother" is a sort of coming of age story, but with two characters in focus instead of just one. It's almost about how they come of age together, though the siblings are quite far apart in age and logically one should come of age before the other. One of the motifs I felt were especially played out in this story was that of regret. Almost every time the narrator spoke from her perspective in the future, it sounded like she had regret or remorse for her actions in the past. Her words felt like explanations and please for understanding and forgiveness. However, there was one part that I felt the regret not from the narrator of the future, but of the Jenny of the past, and that is on page 159, where she is trying to stop her brother from coming in, and then locks him out of her room. The first part of this section reads "I took my slipper and whacked the tips of his fingers like he was a bug" (159). This is her immediate reaction